October 4, 2009

Maureen McGovern - A Long and Winding Road

This week has been all about rehearsals for Maureen McGovern in A Long and Winding Road.  Director Phillip Himberg and Maureen began rehearsals in Boston on Tuesday. They had spent the previous week rehearsing in NY, culminating with a run thru last Sunday, and arrived in the South End with a fresh script chock full of adjustments. They were running the show again by Thursday. Today we started rehearsing in the theatre adding lights, sound and projections to the mix. Previews begin in just 5 days.

I caught a rehearsal on Friday afternoon.

The show caught me off guard, much like it did back when we workshop'd it here last March. This is the music of my youth, yet I never really considered it MY music. I thought I was too young to consider myself a baby boomer - but I looked it up just to be sure. Turns out I'm not that far off. Boomers, they say, were born between 1946 and 1964. I was born in 1965.

My mom played this music as I grew up -  on the record player and on her guitars; Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, James Taylor, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Peter Paul & Mary, and Carole King. It IS my music, and though there are a few decades between me and Maureen McGovern, there is much we share in this Long and Winding Road.

I bet you'll discover some of your life and music, too, in this uniquely American story. See you in the theatre!

add your comments here

Maureen McGovern in A Long and Winding Road at the Huntington Theatre Company's second stage - The Virginia Wimberly Theatre at the Stanford Calderwood Pavilion at the BCA. 527 Tremont St, Boston MA 02116.  Buy tickets online or call our box office at 617 266-0800. Box Office locations and hours click here.

No comments: