November 11, 2010

Shirley, VT Young Artist Blogs: Marie Polizzano

From Marie Polizzano ("Lauren" in Circle Mirror Transformation):

Marie Polizzano
So here we are, only ONE more week left of Circle Mirror Transformation. I have to admit, I am already feeling a bit blue! This experience has been incredibly special to me for so many reasons, and I keep learning something new (about the play, or about myself, or about the art of making theatre) with each performance we do.  I will miss the routine of going to the theatre each night and of seeing my fellow cast-mates and crew members.  But as this play so beautifully reminds us: Life is a circle. Things come and things go. Here's to a celebratory and exciting last week of the run! And to the hope that theatre will bring us another opportunity to work together again!

With only one week to go, I find myself reflecting on all the things I love about doing this show . . .
One of my favorite onstage moments in this play is when we are all onstage playing the game "Circle Mirror Transformation." This is the only part of the play that is unscripted. In other words, we play the game every night for real, and it is totally improvised and new each time. The spontaneity of this game is so exciting and refreshing! I look forward to it every night.



The other moment that I love is when we play the "secrets" game. I love this part because, every time, without fail, I can FEEL the audience listening. You can hear a pin drop in there; that is how quiet and tense the air is as the audience leans forward to hear the hidden parts of these characters and try to piece it all together. Which secret belongs to each character? There is, of course, an answer that we are all playing and that we have confirmed with Annie in rehearsals, but nowhere in the play is it explicitly spelled out.  As a result, there are a few different scenarios that technically can work. There are a few theories floating around...what is yours?

My final favorite moment is when Lauren transforms at the end.  Getting to change in the span of a minute's time is so theatrical and so much fun for an actor. I get to "grow up" onstage every night. Performing this play has been a great reminder to me about the capability for change, the impermanence of everything, the magnitude of the ordinary. The play encourages me to pay attention every day, to be present, and to be open to the possibility that anything can happen, or change, in an instant.

Now that you know what some of my favorite moments are, I'm wondering: Do any readers have a favorite scene or moment? Was there a strong idea that you were left with after seeing the show?

— Marie Polizzano

No comments: